The Mesothelioma Center at Asbestos.com has provided patients and their love ones the most update and dependable data on mesothelioma and asbestos exposure since 2006. All mesothelioma patients can benefit from cancer-fighting foods but not for the cause many people believe .
The estimate of foods that fight cancer may conjure up a notion of nutrients killing tumor cells, similarly to the way mesothelioma treatment works .
however, this international relations and security network ’ t how nutrition affects the consistency. alternatively, goodly foods bolster your body ’ randomness natural ability to fight cancer. They support immune officiate and promoting mend and convalescence .
This allows you to stay on track with your treatment schedule and medicine doses. Getting all of your planned therapy is critical to achieving optimum tumor control .
Cancer-fighting recipes will help you add the following key foods into your mesothelioma dietary plan .
Proteins: Chicken, Fish, Dairy, Meat, Eggs and More
Protein is among the most important nutrients for a mesothelioma patient. excellent, protein-rich options include :
- Lean beef and pork
- Greek yogurt
- Beans, lentils and peas
- Soy foods
Regardless of your usual body weight — whether you are thin, average or corpulence — your body needs extra protein after a mesothelioma diagnosis .
evening if you feel you have “ room to spare ” and some extra torso weight, you should do everything you can to avoid losing burden during treatment.
pisces are besides a good source of vitamin D. A 2021 clinical inquiry study found that patients with asbestos-related diseases, such as mesothelioma, had lower vitamin D levels than healthy patients .
Maintaining your weight unit and eating plenty of protein during discussion is the best room to preserve your muscle and documentation immune cell repair and positive feedback. Most cancer patients should aim to eat 0.65 to 0.75 grams of protein per impound of torso weight each day .
For example, a person who weighs 175 pounds should try to eat 114 to 131 grams of protein daily .
Yellow, White, Orange and Purple Root Vegetables
colorful plant foods are among the top cancer-fighting items in the diet. This includes all vegetables, but for people diagnosed with mesothelioma, it ’ mho helpful to focus on the calorie-rich options .
Skip the salads and early low-calorie vegetables. rather, fuel up with :
- Purple and white potatoes
- Orange sweet potatoes and edible pumpkin (not the carving kind)
- Yellow yams
- Orange and yellow squash
many people in mesothelioma discussion conflict to get enough to eat. good nutrition helps the consistency weather unmanageable cancer therapies and fuel convalescence. For this cause, focus on the vitamin- and mineral-rich options that besides provide department of energy .
Purple, Red and Blue Fruit
Berries and brilliantly colored stone yield are among the most potent cancer-fighting foods in the diet. Those bright colors signal the presence of antioxidants and other cancer-fighting nutrients .
Combining fruit with some protein and fat offers the consistency calories, vitamins and minerals needed during cancer therapy. These important substances can support heal and recovery during and after mesothelioma treatment .
Try to include the keep up nutrient-rich fruit — fresh or fixed — in your cancer-fighting food plan :
- Black raspberries
- Red and black currants
- Salmon berries
Some of these items are only available fresh for a few weeks a year. Frozen fruit retains the lapp nutrients as fresh, may be less expensive and may be easier to find .
Free Mesothelioma Nutrition Guide
Eating mighty and balancing your diet while undergoing mesothelioma treatment can ease your symptoms .
Get Free Recipes and Tips
Cancer Fighting Recipes for a Healthy Diet
Perfect Pan-Seared, Oven-Roasted Roast Chicken Thighs
Servings : 3
Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs
- 6 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 ¼ pounds)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Herbs and spices, to taste∗
- Preheat oven to 475 F
- Season chicken with salt and pepper
- In a cast-iron, oven-safe skillet heat oil over medium-high heat until hot, but not smoking
- Place chicken thighs skin down and cook two minutes on medium-high
- Reduce heat to medium and cook about 12 minutes, until skin is golden brown
- Move thighs around during skillet cooking to ensure even heating
- Transfer skillet to oven and cook an additional 13 minutes
- Flip chicken and cook another 7 minutes, until skin is crispy and meat cooked through
- Check to make sure internal temperature of chicken reaches at least 165 F
- Transfer to plate and let sit 5 minutes before serving
∗ Herbs and spices can help reduce metallic and unpleasant tastes that can occur during chemotherapy. Try fresh or dry rosemary, marjoram, basil or thyme .
Adding a bite of bouquet with a light brush of honey or maple syrup at the end of cooking besides may improve relish for mesothelioma patients .
nutriment data per serve : 370 calories ; 36 deoxyguanosine monophosphate protein ; 25 gram fat ; 0 deoxyguanosine monophosphate carbohydrate
Root Vegetables Recipe
Roasted Potatoes, Yams and Squash
Servings : 5
Roasted Potatoes, Yams and Squash
- 1 medium orange sweet potato or fresh, edible pumpkin if seasonal
- 1 medium yellow yam or sweet potato
- 1 small acorn or ½ butternut squash (add extra potato and yam if squash is out of season)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Dash of salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh or dried herbs — basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme, parsley or rosemary
- Preheat oven to 450 F
- Wash and dry vegetables
- Peel and chop squash into roughly 1-inch pieces
- Chop potatoes, skin on, into 1-inch pieces
- Place vegetables into 3-quart, glass baking dish (approximately 12” × 9”)
- Add olive oil and stir to coat food
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and herbs
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring once halfway through baking time
- Remove from oven and serve immediately
nutrition information per suffice : 177 calories ; 3 gigabyte protein ; 8 gravitational constant fatness ; 23 g carbohydrate
If you enjoy grilling, you can brush unharmed potatoes in olive oil, sprinkle with herbs and salt, envelop in foil and invest on the grill for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. open foil cautiously using tongs, to avoid reach with escaping steamer. Poke potatoes with a fork to determine if cooked through. If not cooked to desired doneness, rewrap and return to grill for another few minutes .
Fruit Smoothie Recipe
Berry-Cherry, High-Protein Smoothie∗
Servings : 1
Berry Cherry High-Protein Smoothie
- 1 cup non-fat, Greek yogurt
- ½ cup frozen cherries
- ½ cup frozen blueberries∗∗
- 1 cup whole milk or non-dairy option, if preferred (more or less to blend to desired consistency)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender
- Begin blending, adding a little milk at a time to combine to desired consistency
nutrition data per serve : 485 calories ; 29 gigabyte protein ; 9 gram fat ; 72 gigabyte carbohydrate
∗ If you have been advised to avoid freeze and identical cold foods during treatment, add berries to other foods such as oatmeal or grain .
∗∗ If things taste besides sugared, try substituting freeze cranberries in invest of blueberries .
Find a Top Mesothelioma Doctor
We ’ ve helped thousands of people affected by mesothelioma find the best treatments .
Get Started now
Treat Food Like Medicine
Some people struggle to eat enough during cancer treatment. If this is a problem for you, try to treat food like medication .
You may not feel athirst, but setting a timer to take a few bites or sips of food every hour can help you squeeze more calories and protein into your day. Do this for all of the foods you are able to eat during cancer care .
If you are losing weight after a mesothelioma diagnosis, ask your checkup team to refer you to a cancer dietician. This person can help you design a plan to meet your nutriment needs before, during and after treatment .