- Power to tax and spend for the general welfare and the common defense.
- Power to borrow money.
- To regulate commerce with states, other nations, and Native American tribes.
- Establish citizenship naturalization laws and bankruptcy laws
- Coin money
- Power to punish counterfeiters of money and stocks
- Power to establish post offices and roads
- Power to regulate patents and copyrights
- Power to establish lower courts from the Supreme Court
- Power to establish piracy laws of the sea
- To declare war
- Power to raise and support Army
- Provide and maintain the Navy
- Make rules for the Government and regulation of naval forces
- Power to call a militia (National Guard today)
- Power of regulating a militia
- Power to govern the District of Columbia and properties for federal government purposes
- Authority to create laws that are necessary and proper to carry out the laws of the land (Necessary and Proper Clause)
article I, part 8, Clause 18 is known as the Necessary and Proper Clause which gives Congress the agency to create any laws that are necessary and proper to carry out the count powers of the Constitution. The Necessary and Proper clause has been up for interpretation since the publish of the Constitution. A Supreme Court encase that challenged the clause was McCollough v. Maryland ( 1819 ). The court ruled that the Necessary and Proper article gave Congress the incriminate might to create a second base national bank in Maryland and the submit could not tax the bank. Another congressional ability that was explicitly stated in the Constitution was the impeachment powers in Article I, section 2 and 3. Congress has the agency to impeach a sitting President in agency. The impeachment process is as such, the House of Representatives brings articles of impeachment against the official and then the Senate is responsible for the impeachment trial. In orderliness to impeach a sitting President, the Senate must vote two-thirds. Article III, Section 3 gives Congress the authority to decide on the punishment of treason .
The Founding Fathers explicitly stated the powers of Congress in the Constitution in arrange to solidify that the exponent of the politics comes from the people. The Constitution is a protected document that has been interpreted since its write. The powers of Congress were laid out in arrange to establish our government for the people, by the people .
Earn your on-line bachelor ’ s degree from a regionally accredited university that has been an on-line education leader for more than 15 years. Complete the form to learn more about how you can earn your knight bachelor ’ mho in political skill and pick up in-demand emphasis areas and certificates along the room, giving yourself a competitive edge in the subcontract commercialize. Contact us today to get started.
Read more: Could These Altcoins Be Ethereum Killers?
Reading: The Powers of Congress
The Constitution of the United States : A transcription. ( 2018, December 18 ). Retrieved February 27, 2019, from hypertext transfer protocol : //www.archives.gov/founding-docs/constitution-transcript
By : Angie Kirby, EKU Graduate Assistant