Diagnosing calculate my age
spots might include :
- Visual inspection. Your doctor can usually diagnose age spots by looking at your skin. It’s important to distinguish age spots from other skin disorders because the treatments differ and using the wrong procedure may delay other needed therapy.
- Skin biopsy. Your doctor might do other tests, such as removing a small sample of skin for examination in a lab (skin biopsy). This can help distinguish an age spot from other conditions, such as lentigo maligna, a type of skin cancer. A skin biopsy is usually done in a doctor’s office, using a local anesthetic.
- Skin biopsy
If you want your age spots phệ be less noticeable, treatments are available mập lighten or remove them. Because the pigment is located at the base of the epidermis — the topmost layer of hình mẫu — any treatments meant béo lighten the age spots must penetrate this layer of hình mẫu .
Age spot treatments include :
- Medications. Applying prescription bleaching creams (hydroquinone) alone or with retinoids (tretinoin) and a mild steroid might gradually fade the spots over several months. The treatments might cause temporary itching, redness, burning or dryness.
- Laser and intense pulsed light. Some laser and intense pulsed light therapies destroy melanin-producing cells (melanocytes) without damaging the skin’s surface. These approaches typically require two to three sessions. Wounding (ablative) lasers remove the top layer of skin (epidermis).
- Freezing (cryotherapy). This procedure treats the spot by using a cotton-tipped swab to apply liquid nitrogen for five seconds or less. This destroys the extra pigment. As the area heals, the skin appears lighter. Spray freezing may be used on a small grouping of spots. The treatment may temporarily irritate the skin and poses a slight risk of permanent scarring or discoloration.
- Dermabrasion. Dermabrasion sands down the surface layer of skin with a rapidly rotating brush. New skin grows in its place. You may need to undergo the procedure more than once. Possible side effects include temporary redness, scabbing and swelling. It may take several months for pinkness to fade.
- Microdermabrasion. Microdermabrasion is a less aggressive approach than dermabrasion. It leaves mild skin blemishes with a smoother appearance. You’ll need a series of procedures over months to get modest, temporary results. You may notice a slight redness or stinging sensation on the treated areas. If you have rosacea or tiny red veins on your face, this technique could make the condition worse.
- Chemical peel. This method involves applying a chemical solution to the skin to remove the top layers. New, smoother skin forms to take its place. Possible side effects include scarring, infection, and lightening or darkening of skin color. Redness lasts up to several weeks. You might need several treatments before you notice any results.
The age spot therapies that remove giao diện are usually done in a doctor’s office và don’t require hospitalization. The length of each procedure & the giây phút it takes mập see results varies from weeks lớn months .
After treatment, when outdoors you’ll need Khủng use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a sun protection factor ( SPF ) of at least 30 & wear protective clothing .
Because age spot treatments are considered cosmetic, they typically aren’t covered by insurance. And because the procedures can have side effects, discuss your options carefully with a bác sĩ who specializes in hình mẫu conditions ( dermatologist ). Also, make sure your dermatologist is specially trained & experienced in the technique you’re considering .
- Chemical peel
Lifestyle and home remedies
Many nonprescription fade creams & lotions for lightening age spots are available for marketing. Thes e may improve the appearance of age spots, depending on how dark the spots are và how often you apply the cream. You might need mập use such a hàng hóa regularly for several weeks or months before you notice results .
If you want phệ try an over-the-counter fade cream, choose one that contains hydroquinone, glycolic acid or kojic acid. Some products, especially those that contain hydroquinone, may cause hình mẫu irritation .
You could also apply makeup phệ help make age spots less noticeable .
Preparing for your appointment
You’re likely mập start by seeing your primary care bác sĩ, who may then refer you lớn a dermatologist .
Your bác sỹ is likely bự ask you a number of questions, such as :
- When did you first notice the spots on your skin?
- Did the spots appear gradually or quickly?
- Have you noticed any other changes in the appearance of your skin?
- Is the condition itchy, tender or otherwise bothersome?
- Have you experienced frequent or severe sunburns?
- How often are you exposed to the sun or UV radiation?
- Do you regularly protect your skin from UV radiation?
- What kind of sun protection do you use?
- Do you have a family history of age spots or skin cancer?
- What medications do you take?
Questions you may want phệ ask your bác sỹ include :
- What suspicious changes in my skin should I look for?
- If the spots are age spots, what can I do to improve the appearance of my skin?
- Do treatments make them go away completely, or do they just lighten the age spots?
- Could these spots turn into skin cancer?
Leave a Comment