2nd Philadelphia Mint, 1833-1901 The history of the United States Mint in Philadelphia stretches back to the time when George Washington was president and our nation ‘s capital was Philadelphia. The institution of the U.S. Mint was provided for in the Act of April 2, 1792. The first gear coins struck at the original mint in Philadelphia were minted, according to popular impression, from silver medal family plates personally delivered by President Washington himself !
The Philadelphia Mint was the first public build up erected by agency of Congress. The mint remained in Philadelphia after the union politics was relocated to Washington, D.C., although debates continued for the future 28 years between advocates who believed the mint belonged in the national capital and opponents who insisted it stay in Philadelphia. On March 10, 1828, Congress authorized the mint ‘s good continuation in Philadelphia until otherwise provided by law, which finally laid the return to rest.
Reading: U.S.Mints – Littleton Coin Company
A watchdog named Nero was purchased for $ 3 and, together with a watchman, provided security for the beginning mint. construction began in 1829 and the new, larger batch was in operation for 70 years. As neologism production increased, the U.S. Mint expanded doubly more in the city of Philadelphia .
This has constantly been the main U.S. Mint facility. Most coins struck here have no mint marks. The exceptions are the Wartime nickels of 1942-45, Anthony dollars of 1979, and all Philadelphia coins since 1980 except the cent, which continues without .
In 1862, the politics purchased the Clark-Gruber trust facility for $ 25,000 with the intention of establishing a ramify mint. however, ascribable to hostilities with native american tribe, the Denver facility was never able to function as a branch mint. alternatively, it became an assay function, opening in September 1863. Miners brought in their gold, then it was melted and made into bars. The bars were stamped with the fineness and the dedication “ U.S. BRANCH MINT, DENVER. ” In 1877, the build had deteriorated. This, along with major gold and eloquent discoveries in Colorado, last led to the administration of a veridical Denver Mint. The build up – which was completed in 1904, began production in 1906, and was enlarged in 1937 – enabled Denver to set a record in 1969, when over 5 billion coins were produced there .
West Point, New York
The West Point Mint was erected in 1937 as the West Point Bullion Depository for the storage of silver reserves, and for many years had the dub “ The Fort Knox of Silver. ” The facility produced Lincoln cents bearing no mint punctuate from 1973-1986, and began striking U.S. commemorative coins with a $ 10 gold piece honoring the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games. In 1988, West Point gained official condition as a outgrowth United States Mint .
nowadays, the West Point Mint stores U.S. aureate bullion, strikes aureate and silver U.S. commemorative coins with “ W ” mint marks, and produces the entire family of flatware, gold and platinum american english Eagle coins in both Uncirculated and Proof versions. A 1996-W Roosevelt dime bag commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of the Roosevelt series was issued only in that year ‘s Mint Sets, and it remains the only regular-issue U.S. coin with a “ W ” mint marker .
due to the bearing of substantial gold reserves, security at the West Point Mint is highly fast. Like the Fort Knox Bullion Depository, access to the web site and tours are not available to the populace .
San Francisco, California
2nd San Francisco Mint, 1874-1937 The California aureate rush of 1848 caused chaotic conditions as the sum of gold being mined increased quickly and in dramatic proportions. Gold was fleshy and difficult to transport to the Philadelphia Mint, and encountered many hazardous moments on its travel. A number of private mints took advantage of the situation and cursorily produced coins that circulated in great quantities. In decree to take control, the federal government quickly authorized a arm mint in San Francisco .
A small plant was built, and operations began in 1854. The bantam mint was ineffective to meet the demands of the West and construction was begun on a new, larger mint in 1872. Two years subsequently, the raw branch mint was ready. immediately upon its open, the mint was dubbed the Granite Lady, a tribute to its size and architecture. The massive building was one of the most epicurean mints in the world, featuring amber and bronze chandeliers and 14 marble fireplaces on the beginning and second floors. Its massive structure and architectural force were put to the test thirty years subsequently .
On April 18, 1906, San Francisco was twisted, broken and burned by the worst earthquake ever to rock the United States. The Granite Lady survived the earthquake due to its solid structure, but the real terror was the aftermath – fire ! Because of its thick granite walls and metallic element windowpane frames, the mint was thought to be immune to fire. But the incredible heat began to shatter the windows and melt the frames. Underneath the mint ‘s vaults was an artesian well, but the shock of the earthquake had broken its heart. Repairing it enough to be operated by pass, some volunteers filled buckets and shed urine on the home woodwork, which had ignited when the windows blew in. On the roof, men with iron bars, picks and shovels tore off pitch wallpaper and threw it to the establish. The expose roof beams were then saturated with a fire-retardant liquid .
After seven hours, the Mint was blackened and its iron shutters twisted by the heat. But the Granite Lady was safe, placid standing in the midst of the destruction that was San Francisco. It was a unmanageable menstruation for the whole city – many people had lost everything, and most had no access to their savings. Bank safes took weeks to cool adequate to allow access to their contents. Since the mint was one of the few buildings to survive – and the alone fiscal institution left – it became a impermanent savings bank and handled much-needed relief funds for the city.
Read more: Bitcoin Mining
Carson City, Nevada
The Comstock Lode of Virginia City, Nevada, was such a large strike that a arm mint was set up in nearby Carson City, named after the celebrated frontiersman Kit Carson. This Nevada mint was a ephemeral facility and produced some of the scarcest coins in numismatics. During its years of process, the Carson City Mint gained a reputation for striking some of the most finely detail, high-quality coins in U.S. history. The Morgan silver dollars that were struck here are considered to be the finest in the serial .
Carson City, today the capital of Nevada, was founded by a colorful character named Abraham Curry. Curry was a astute businessman who bargained and fought indefatigably to improve and develop the city. He finally convinced the federal government to build a ramify batch in Carson City to handle Nevada ‘s large eloquent add. Congress authorized $ 150,000 for the project in 1866, and Abe Curry became the general contractile organ for construction. The batch ended up costing three times the original amount, but it was a fortress.The concrete foundation extended seven feet below the basement floor and the sandstone walls were four feet compact ! When the mint opened in 1869, general contractor Curry went on to become its first overseer .
The Carson City Mint has produced some of the scarcest coins in numismatics. Its colored and stimulate era ended in 1893, when the Comstock Lode began to give out. today, the Carson City Mint is a museum, opening its doors to half a million visitors each class .
New Orleans, Louisiana
The U.S. outgrowth mint in New Orleans has a history as colorful and interest as the city itself. Established as the commercial and fiscal kernel of the integral South, New Orleans wanted monetary independence from the northerly banks and the Philadelphia Mint. Heated debates raged between northern and southerly senators over the motivation for a mint in New Orleans. Southern congressmen stood their earth and a New Orleans branch of the U.S. Mint was authorized in 1835 .
A stately build up occupying an integral blockage was built future to the celebrated french quarter on the banks of the Mississippi River. Coinage operations began in 1838 and then were suspended for much of 1839 when a yellow fever epidemic caused the mint to close. By 1860, relations between North and South had become very tense. In January of the following class, Louisiana became the second state to secede from the Union. Within a week, the state of Louisiana took over the New Orleans Mint. Some batch employees, still loyal to the Union, destroyed a numeral of dies .
Two months subsequently, the Confederacy took over the batch. This was the third government in ten weeks that had see over mint operations ! The Confederate mint struck coins only until May of 1861, then was closed as soldiers raided it for war substantial. After the Civil War, the New Orleans Mint stood unused until 1876 when it opened as an assay office .
In 1878, the U.S. government regained control of the New Orleans Mint and President Rutherford Hayes appointed Henry Stuart Foote overseer. A southerner with a wide background in both politics and law, Foote was an ideal campaigner to bring the mint back to life. After 18 years of discontinue mint production, much of the mint ‘s equipment had succumbed to misuse. In addition, Foote faced meaning delays in repairs due to an epidemic of yellow fever that had plagued the area. however, he was able to get production under way, and in 1879, the first post-war coins rolled off the presses. First to be released were the “ O ” Mint Morgan dollars ; then came the $ 10 and $ 20 Liberty Head gold pieces. Fewer than 2,400 of both gold coins were struck that year, and today these issues are considered extremely rare and sought after by collectors. In fact, it is estimated that alone 12-15 of the 1879-O $ 10 gold pieces placid survive today .
Foote served as the New Orleans Mint superintendent until his death in 1880. Despite his efforts, coin operations ended in 1909 because the more modern San Francisco and Denver Mints could better handle production. The build still stands on the banks of the Mississippi and is today a museum .
Charlotte, North Carolina
A ramify U.S. Mint was established in Charlotte, North Carolina for the exclusive production of amber coins following the discovery of gold in the Carolinas. Opening in July 1837, the Charlotte facility processed and refined raw gold until March 1838 – when $ 5 amber half eagles became the first U.S. coins with the “ C ” notice of the Charlotte Mint. Later that class, $ 2.50 gold stern eagles went into output, and gold dollars were added to the output in 1849 .
When North Carolina seceded from the Union in May 1861, the Charlotte Mint was taken over first by the State of North Carolina and then by the Confederacy. Bullion supplies ran out a few months late, and the construction was turned into military space and a hospital for Confederate troops. After the Civil War in 1867, the U.S. government converted the batch to an assay office .
When scheduled for destruction in 1931, a group of citizens acquired the social organization from the U.S. government, relocated it to a newfangled site in Charlotte, and in 1936 opened the Mint Museum of Art. Among the displays is a complete collection of U.S. gold coins struck at the former Charlotte Mint – all of which are barely to highly rare, and highly prized by collectors.
Read more: Dahlonega Mint – Wikipedia
A branch U.S. Mint was established in Dahlonega, Georgia for the single product of gold coinage after amber deposits were discovered in the nearby sphere. The beginning coins struck at the Dahlonega Mint were $ 5 gold half eagles in 1838, and $ 2.50 gold quarter eagles were issued by the Georgia facility beginning in 1839. gold dollar production commenced in 1849, and $ 3 amber pieces were struck for a single year in 1854 .
When Georgia seceded from the Union in 1861, the state of matter took over the Dahlonega Mint ‘s construction and machinery. The Confederate Congress closed the facility in June of 1861, and for the duration of the Civil War, an assayer lived in the honest-to-god mint and acted as caretaker. The structure was occupied by federal troops during the Reconstruction era after the war, and in 1873 the U.S. government donated the adeptness to North Georgia Agricultural College ( now the University of North Georgia ). The structure served as the college ‘s main academician and administrative build until it burned in 1878. A new college facility was erected on the granite initiation of the early Dahlonega Mint .